Ontario, OR phone icon (541) 889-5411 Hermiston, OR phone icon (541) 567-2345

Serving the Greater Northwest since 1972

boundary disputes

The First thing needed when performing a property survey is the current deed that conveyed the property. The Surveyor will do preliminary research, finding any existing survey control in the area. Generally, after this is done the surveyor is able to give an estimate of the cost to provide the surveying services that you have requested.

what a surveyor does when they work on boundary dispute

If the parties in a boundary dispute cannot accept the surveyor's opinion they may get additional opinions or have their dispute settled in court.

When a surveyor takes a boundary dispute project, usually a fixed price to cover all services is not given because the amount of office work and fieldwork can double and even triple. The surveyor may need to collect more evidence from owners in the past, this may include research related to agreements/junior/senior deed research and additional monument recovery.

It becomes very important that you have selected a surveyor that is licensed, specializes in these services, is qualified, and will stand behind the work and Professional Opinion formed because the boundary line is a Professional Opinion and these opinions are subject to court ruling, it is important that Surveyors continue their education to understand court rulings and changes in laws. See "Select a Professional Land Surveyor" for more information.

additional information:

Boundary by Agreement
Property Boundary Information for the Laymen